Monday, 10 December 2012

Evaluative Summary

Please find under the break my evaluative summary for the whole of this unit of work.

Evaluative Summary

I began this unit by making a statement of intent, identifying possible career paths and opportunities for my future. I expressed an interest in teaching photography, but also in joining the film industry, perhaps in a role such as director of photography. Based upon this, I was placed in a group with Amber and Emily with the joint interest in moving image. We tried to figure out a possible subject for our group presentation based around the topic of moving image and settled on “Why are there expectations of a Photographer to include Moving Image?”

To begin with, I read a BJP article about photographers embracing film making, and contacted people who were featured in the article. It took some time for us all to figure out what our roles within the presentation would be, but we were all decided on the importance of moving image within the photography industry. Each of us had different beliefs on what that was, and as I was contacting photographers for my primary research, I began researching Sam Taylor-Johnson (nee Wood) as she is a great example of a photographer using moving image, due to her acclaimed John Lennon biopic Nowhere Boy. However, after our group project one-to-one meeting with Nick, I expressed a concern that I was worried the presentation may not flow well, so he suggested moving away from Sam Taylor-Johnson and towards a photographer who had replied to me. Therefore, my focus changed to cover practitioner Laurence Dutton, who I had a phone interview with following a request in his email.

The group did have trouble communicating a number of times, most significantly, we did not clearly communicate what practitioners we were going to contact, which resulted in some practitioners replying to me saying that they had received almost identical emails from someone else. There was also a communication issue between myself and another member of the group regarding what practitioner we were going to cover, as two had replied to both of us, and she was indecisive as to who to cover, leaving me to wait for her to make up her mind for me to see who I could write about. This was after I found very little secondary research on Dutton and needed to cover a different practitioner who had replied to me. There was also an incident where one member of the group did not turn up to practice our presentation.

All of the practitioners who replied to me all made it very clear how important expanding into moving image is. Some said that it contributes to a project, some said that they make more money from moving image, while some said that it is essential to move into this field, as still images are taking a downward turn in popularity. The responses have left me deciding to at least experiment in moving image, something that I think I will do for my project next semester.

The guest speakers were very interesting. The way they presented their work kept me curious and they spoke freely about they approached their careers, which was enlightening. I especially liked Laura Hynd, who was honest, friendly, and gave me good advice about my cultural descriptions project. I identified with her approach to photographing people, something I dread, and liked her personal style that was visible even in commissioned work. Jason Larkin's use of square-format and film photography I thought was refreshing to the field of reportage/photojournalism, as it is rare.

The workshops such as CV development and budgeting really helped me to understand what it is like to be a professional photographer. The CV development really helped me, as I had not had a lesson on how to make a CV in a few years. I found it really beneficial and feel like those who had not gone to that session would have struggled to develop their CVs without it. The budgeting workshop really hit home on how much it costs to be a photographer in the real world, and after completing my budget for my cultural descriptions project, I was overcome with love for the tech office allowing us to book out cameras and use the studios for free! I will definitely be hiring out other cameras that I have not used before, such as the Hasselblad, for free while I have the chance.

The compulsory documents for this unit, such as cover letter and statement of intent, were great practice for after I finish my degree and have to write a document such as this. I have never had to write such documents before, and also felt like the tailored documents, such as my cover letter, can be used for any work experience placements I apply for next semester. One of the things that I left to last was my website, as I thought this would be the most daunting thing to do. However, I wish I had made it earlier, as it was not as bad as I thought it would be. Wix was quite easy to use and my website looks professional, however I was not impressed with reading that I could buy a domain name through Wix, then afterwards being told that I need to pay to upgrade my account so that I can use it. I also set up a professional Twitter account to inform people about my projects and work, and to communicate with people in a more informal and accessible way. I have had my personal account for almost four years, so I am very familiar with how to use the site.

There were many strengths and weaknesses regarding this unit of work. I feel that the most problematic was the group project, especially in terms of communication. This resulted in practitioners receiving almost identical emails twice, people not turning up to group meetings, and a slow start to me writing my case study on a practitioner. This has taught me to be more stringent with communication in the event of another group project. I feel like I should have made my website earlier than I did, as it was not as daunting as I thought it would be. My strengths include writing the emails to the practitioners I contacted, and talking to them on the phone. I do not really like talking on the phone to people I know, so to work up the courage to call a stranger was a big deal for me. Amongst the details of working as a practitioner and working as a group, I feel like this project was very beneficial to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment