After choosing to make a website using Wix, this list of potential website uses comes up. I selected "photography".
After selecting "photography", this list of genres of photography appears on the left. I ticked "pro-photographer", as I wanted my website to display project work rather than commercial/event photography I have undertaken.
After this, a page is displayed featuring different layouts available for my website. Each layout is suitable for each website function. I chose the layout "Online Photos" as it was a simple monochrome design and would not distract from my images.
To change any image on the website from the stock images that come with the layout to an image of my own, I clicked on the image and select "change image". Here, my own images can be uploaded to an image gallery and easily selected to replace the stock image. This action is the same to display my images in a gallery.
Wix allows users to save progress made to their sites. However, before the website can be viewed in a browser, it has to be published. The same goes for progress made to a site that has already been published, "publish" must be clicked in the web editor for these changes to be seen in a browser.
To buy the domain name "lornarollingsphotography.com", I went to "My Account", then "Domains", where I could either buy a domain through Wix, or transfer one across to my Wix account. I bought mine through Wix as I thought it would be simpler than transfering it from a domain-buying site such as 123reg.com. The process was simple and the domain cost $29.82 (£18.58). It is ready for renewal on 1st December 2013.
To then connect the domain to the website, I needed to go back to "Domains" from "My Accounts", and select "Manage" next to the domain I wished to connect.
This was the part where I had issues. To connect my domain name to the blog, I needed to upgrade my account to premium, which means a monthly fee. This I was not aware of. Do do this, I selected "Upgrade" button underneath the website I wished to attach the domain to.
This is the page that displays the different plans and prices. I selected the "combo" pack, as it removes the Wix advertising and is quite cheap.
After selecting the "combo" package, this appeared before confirming my purchase.
When working out how much this would cost me, I thought that £61 was quite a good price for one year. However, what Wix don't mention in the pricings is that VAT is not included, meaning I was in for a bit of a shock when an extra £12.37 was added to my bill.
To then transfer my domain to my premium account, I clicked on "change"...
... then "pointed my domain" to my website. After clicking "save", the URL for my website is lornarollingsphotography.com.
I feel that the overall process was quite simple. Wix is easy to use, however I would advise people to really look into prices of domains and any pitfalls such as upgrading to a premium account.













No comments:
Post a Comment