Tuesday, 13 November 2012

Stan Guigui

Stan Guigui's work is inspired by classic literature, including the works of Charles Dickens, which has fueled his work that delves into the darker side of society. His main body of work, The Kingdom of Thieves, is about Bogota, Columbia, and the people who live there whose lives have been changed for the worse by government abandonment. He has also worked as a crew member on several moving image projects. 

What inspired you to begin using moving image and why?
Just wanted to make a movie. Something different that stills. Another way to tell a story.

What equipment do you use to capture your moving image work?
Anything, Sony HD, Canon 5D, Camera does not really makes difference. I loved the HI8, it was the closest to film...

How much of your moving image work has been commissioned?
None, they where produced by Ciné Producers.

You have worked as a crew member on several films, did you find your photography skills translated easily to a new medium of work? If so, how?
No it's totally different. In a movie, frames and lights are changing in the same scene so it is another work. You need other people to help. When I am doing pictures;, I don't want any assistant, I don't like to talk... For me, movie is less intuitive than stills. It is a work. No pleasure !!!

Has your moving image work influenced your still photography?
No, it is the total opposite. My work in photography, helps me to do a movie. It is much more difficult to make a good picture than a good scene. In movie, you follow the action. In still you have to catch an action or an expression and sometimes it is really fast !

Do you think it is important for photographers to expand into moving image?
In term of business I would say yes, because TV pay more than magazines and they are thousand millions of pictures. So it is maybe easier and bankable to sell a short documentary or tv reportage. Also with the new consumption of media (I Pad, internet...) It is easy to put moving images. 


No comments:

Post a Comment