Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Statement of Intent



 I have many different conflicting ideas of what I would like to do after I complete my BA (Hons) in Photography. Amongst things such as working with children or teaching, becoming a documentary photographer, or continuing into post-graduate study, I am currently interested in using my degree to go into the film industry.

The roles within the production of a film that are linked closely to photography are the role of cinematographer (also known as “Director of Photography”), and location scout. Cinematographers often work closely with the director in relation to the camera and equipment, and what techniques to use to shoot scenes. This would require transferring my knowledge of photography onto a different piece of equipment and gaining new skills. Location scouts seek out mostly outdoor locations for the crew to film. They also negotiate with the location owner, law enforcement, and local government, and make sure the location is suitable in terms of safety. This requires using my photography skills to document a location, and would improve my interpersonal skills.

I am an avid movie-goer and pay careful attention to the way the film has been shot: the locations, camera angles, and depth of field, for example, and analyse this in relation to the plot of the film. I especially enjoy the work of director Christopher Nolan and his collaborations with Director of Photography Wally Pfister, especially in the films The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Inception, the latter of which won Pfister an Academy Award for “Best Cinematography”.

I would like to use my photography degree to go into the film industry in order to be part of an industry that is creative, entertaining, and can influence people. I would like to contribute to a film that gives enjoyment to audiences, and can excite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment